Monday, November 10, 2014

.:Good Dog::Bad Dog:.

This was for our vector assignment in class! I decided to scrap the other one I was doing and instead went with the same theme I'm doing on my contemporary project. Which is the abuse and banning of pit bulls. I tried to symbolize that both of these dogs from each scenario are victims. A fighting dog fights and kills for its owners pleasure, and is generally rewarded and praised if it hasn't lost (aka, been killed). A fighting dog is simply trying to please its owner, even at its own expense. A family dog suffers the stigma of a breed used for dog fighting. This stigma has caused the breed to become banned in several places, and dogs living in these places can become seized and euthanized once it takes place. In fact, in most places where they aren't banned, will still put down stray dogs resembling a bully breed due to stigma. The gun with the words banned across it symbolizes the fact that even a family pet with no past instances of aggression can be put to death from this harsh stigma.


I think the focal point of this piece is likely the dripping blood on the pit-bull to the right-hand side, not only because it’s vibrant color, but the same curiosity and psychology that brings humans to ogle car wrecks. Each of the pit-bull forms are different in color and pattern, but share a similar pose which mirrors each other. I think this adds balance to the piece, especially with the word "victim" in the center connecting the two.

I rather liked how this came out, since vectoring was rather difficult for me. 
Good Dog, Bad Dog, made in Adobe Illustrator CS5.1.

No comments:

Post a Comment